The Louis Joel Arts and Community Centre is a community owned and operated not for profit organization located in the heart of Altona. We opened in 2005 to provide diverse community programs supporting Arts, Community Information, Recreational and Cultural Services to Hobsons Bay.
We are the proud recipient of the Hobsons Bay City Council 2015 Business Excellence Award in the Not for Profit category.
The Centre provides
· A venue which supports groups for community activities
· The Joel Gallery, an exhibition space available at affordable prices to artists and community groups
· Venue hire for private events
· Long term office rental for like minded community organizations
· Creative, educational and leisure programs – please see our term brochure
· The opportunity for individuals or groups with ideas and initiatives to begin their project or program in a supportive environment
· Volunteer training
· A friendly place to drop in for a coffee and a chat
The Joel Gallery holds up to 26 fortnightly exhibitions each year. We encourage and support emerging and established artists as well as local community groups who wish to exhibit at the gallery.
We work in collaboration with many groups and organizations including Indigenous Artists, The Hobsons Bay Arts Society, The Hobsons Bay Camera Club, Multicultural Victoria, The Victorian College of the Arts and the GLBTQI Community.